Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Writer, But Not a Reader?

My neighbor, an aspiring writer interested in the genre, memoirs, tells me she doesn't read. She doesn't even have a library card! I was taken aback to say the least. How can one write, if they have no idea what good or great writers have written?

What started this conversation was a statement I made about good speakers need to be good listeners. She claimed she was one...not quite. She likes to talk, but never pauses to listen for comments or clarifications in her rambling 20 minute "stories". That's talking, not listening! I know at least three folks who tell this convoluted long narrations describing the clothes, what they had for dinner, etc. of someone who you will never meet (or care about) and is totally irrelevant to the story's point!

All this bodes well for my point of reading to understand good writing. Your comments appreciated.

No comments: